The Zmanim API version 1.3.0 was released on March 4th, 2013 כ״א אדר תשע״ג. Various changes in the new release VS the previous version 1.2.1 that was released in May 2010 can be seen below. This release includes beta support for Jewish Calendar calculations as well as a number of updated zmanim and refactored code. The Jewish Calendar support in the Zmanim API is based on Avrom Finkelstien’s HebrewDate project released in 2002. Unlike the Zmanim code, the Jewish calendar interfaces may change significantly in the future (see Jay Gindin’s various changes that may make it into this API) and should therefore be considered beta.
Changes in the Zmanim API 1.3.0 release
- Refactoring of zmanim calculations to allow more flexibility in generating custom zmanim. New generic methods that take an arbitrary start and end of day for many zmanim such as sofZmanShema and getPlagHamincha etc. This makes calculating atypical zmanim that I had not anticipated when creating the API. I receive such requests from time to time, and the changes greatly simplify these types of calculations. Examples of recent requests are:
- Zman krias Shema calculated from alos as 72 minutes before netz and tzais as 7.083 degrees
- Plag hamincha from alos 7.083° to tzais 7.083°
- Many rounds of general code refactoring to simplify and stabilize the code and make it easier to port. Thank you Jay Gindin for his many suggestions.
- The addition of Erev Pesach zmanim to the Zmanim API
- Added Tzais Geonim 3.676 degrees (18 minutes as calculated by Stanley Fishkind)
- Calculation of Kiddush Levana and molad times
- Hebrew calendar support (with formatters and Yom Tov calendar)
- Daf Yomi calendar
- A number of bug fixes including a fix to DST correction, and a calendar date correction
- Changing the license of the KosherJava Zmanim API from GPL 2 to LGPL 2.1
- Many additions and clarifications to the Zmanim API JavaDoc documentation. My thanks to Reb Feivel Muller for his valuable input.
- Removal of the deprecated (and inaccurate) JSuntimeCalculator.java class. This has been deprecated since 2008. The NOAACalculator replaced this class.
- Deprecation of the getSofZmanShmaKolEliyahu() method. Thank you to Rabbi Yisroel Boruch Twerski for pointing out that the Yisrael Vehazmanim was incorrect in including this zman. This is something he discussed with Rabbi Harfenes.
- Uniformly return zmanim based on sea level sunrise and sunset. Most zmanim had this fix a long time ago, but there were a few zmanim such as candle lighting time that were corrected.
- The getCandleLighting() method had a spelling correction (it had been getCandelLighting)
Changes since March 23, 2011 have been in SVN and detailed changes can be seen there.